Thursday, August 23, 2012

Forcefield ZEUS knee protector - Review

Having just purchased a new - used motorcycle, I am working on getting all my safety gear.  With the advent of the computer and the internet it sure is easier to find out what is available and what others think of the different options.    My AGV sport solare pants came with CE rated knee protectors but having them built into the pants is convenient but not as safe in my opinion.  To get the pants to fit on my thighs I had to get a larger size than my waist and lower legs needed.  The knee pads tend to sit below my knee. I decided the best and safest option would be to get dedicated knee protection.  I looked at several brands from the hard kind to the soft ones.

I have been very impressed with the reviews and reputation of Forcefield armor so I first ordered the Forcefield Limb Tube Knee Protector.  It has been around for a while and had many good reviews.  The  meduim size was sold out so I ordered a large.  They were too big on my legs and were a bit loose.  They felt pretty comfortable.  They were basically a mesh material with slots that hold the CE rated knee protectors.  They were a bit hot in the AZ sun and a little bunchy in the back of the knee.


I sent the large back and in the meantime read about a new product from Forcefield,  the Zeus Knee Protector.  It was a little more expensive than the older model limb tube but seemed to offer more protection and more comfort.


Right off the bat you can see that the Zeus knee protector offers a higher level of protection than the limb tube,  It has protection for the front and sides of the knee. The Zeus knee protector is made just for the knee as opposed to the limb tube that can be used on the knee or elbow.


The back is a mesh material and it seems to allow a good amount of air flow and to not bunch up in the back of the knee.


From this side angle you can see the added side protection the Zeus offers.  It has encased foam on the inner and outer knee and that is covered with an abrasion resistant material.

The Zeus knee protector is very comfortable.  I can say that it is preformed for the seated riding position.  So when you are standing it bunches out a bit at the knee.  Not a big deal as they are made to protect you when you are on the bike.


It has a removable strap at the top and bottom of the knee protector.  After checking the Forcefield website I ordered the small knee protector and I think that is a correct size.  The protector seems to stay in place and not fall down when standing.


I found the Zeus to have much better air flow than the limb tube and much better feel on my leg.


Each protector has a tag and is made for the right or left knee.


The Forcefield website says they are coming out with a Zeus Elbow protector.  I have not seen it for sale anywhere yet. 

I am very happy with my purchased and hope to never find out how good the protection really is with all the safety gear I have purchased.

Update: Aug 31, 2012.  I have worn these a few times now and really like them. I have decided to removed the top and bottom straps. They are tight enough without them.  I wish I could have tried on a medium to compare but that is the price for internet shopping.  I feel the elastic will only get looser over time and I can always put the straps back on.  The tag that says left and right is on the straps so I can not use them as I took the straps off. I am not sure the pads really are leg specific.   The pads are very comfortable when riding and I feel very protected with them on.


Update Sept 8, 2012

Someone asked my knee joint measurement. I only have a metal tape but it is about 14 1/2" - taken right at the knee bend while standing. The link below is the forcefield sizing chart site.  I purchased the small and time will tell as I may have been happier with medium.

http://www.johnsonleather.com/Forcefield%20Size%20Chart_Armour.pdf

  







8 comments:

  1. Hi,

    My knee joint is about 14 1/2. Small size is 15" and in the end I think I may have been better with the larger size as the small feels a bit tight, but of course my way to compare with the medium or know how it should feel. I purchased mine from www.bikebandit.com as they had them in stock at a good price and a sale with free shipping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what to say about size. Probably better to start with them a little tight as I assume they will loosen up over time. If they are too big you have no where to go.

      As for protection, I too read about them for bicycle riding but I have also read about the protection for motorcycle riding. These protectors have much more protection than the limb tubes they still sell. They are much more heavy duty with more protection on the sides of you knee and leg. I think they are a good choice for a motorcycle as they offer protection but are still flexable. Forecfields claim to fame is their soft but highly rated protection. I think they are a good buy and good protection. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the great run down on this product; very helpful! With regard to measuring your knee joint (if you don't have a cloth tape measure handy), you can also wrap a string around, mark it and then lay it down on the metal tape measure to obtain a more accurate reading. Again, thanks very much for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would think the string would work. You could also use the metal tape to check as well. Hope it works for you. Order from a site with free shipping and that allows returns. That way you would only be out return shipping if you decide the size is wrong. With the top and bottom straps, you have a little play with getting the knee protectors tight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They come in many types, and it is good understanding the right one to use depending on the activity you are undertaking.

    15 Best Knee Pad 2018 (Flooring Knee Pads for Multi-purpose Use)

    15 Best Knee pads reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s really great information for becoming a better Blogger. Keep sharing, Thanks. For more details to visit motorcycle knee protection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is one of my great finds this week! Thank you. You’ve done an amazing job for me and the people who count on our favorite Website Gearbikesreview. Can you please create another more comprehensive resource on Forcefield ZEUS knee protector? I would be very delighted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so much pleased to read your article. I just love this post. Here all information seems to be very resourceful and knowledgeable for everyone. There is another site that also provides good information about this Topic.

    ReplyDelete