Thursday, August 23, 2012

Forcefield Pro Back Protector Insert - Review

I have done a lot of research on the armor available for motorcycle jackets.  I recently purchased the Alpinestars Stella T-Dyno Jacket.  It is a nice jacket with CE rated shoulder and elbow pads.  The back pad is not CE rated. As you can see from the picture below it is just a thin piece of foam.  I wanted something better for my back protector.


After much research I decided to try the Forcefield Pro Back Protector Insert.  It is CE rated to Level 2 which is the current highest rating and it is supposed to be breathable and flexible.  Alpinestars sells it's own replacement back protector and it costs a little less than the Forcefield one, but is only offers CE  Level 1 protection. I wanted to highest level of protection and figured for a few dollars more it was worth the expense.  Also, several of the motorcycle online stores give Forcefield armor very high ratings. The Forcefield protector is also re-useable which means if you have an accident the back protector does not need to be replaced as is the case with some other brands.

Forcefield has a very good website with lots of information and a sizing chart.  I used the site to help me decide which of the 3 shapes I should get for my jacket.  They also come in 3 sizes for each shape.  I chose the small size as it best matched the protector that was already in my jacket.


I ordered it online and in a few days it was delivered to my door.  Just taking it out of the box you can feel how much more it weighs than the foam protector I was replacing.


Above you can read the level B2 rating.  More protection is a good thing.


Side by side. The old protector and the new one.  The are pretty close in size but the Forcefield protector offers way more protection.


A side view of the 2 protectors.  The Forcefield protector is wider than the old one.


A close up of the protector and its triangle design.


It is very easy to change the back prtotector. You unzip the zipper on the back of the jacket, pull the old protector out and insert the new one.  My jacket has a slot a few inches up inside the back of the jacket that holds the protector in place.  There were no instructions for which way to insert the protector.  We decided to put the smooth side of the protector next to our back.


I can feel the added weight, but as you can see in the picture the protector is not really noticeable.  I think the added protection this protector offer is worth a slight increase in weight.  The Forcefield Pro Back Protector Insert feels very comfortable and I feel more secure that if I do have an accident this protector will give me a better protection.

I hope I never find out how good the protection really is but if I do have an accident I fell I have done my best to be well protected.



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this information. I found it very informative as I have been researching a lot lately on practical matters such as you talk about. Motorcycle Jacket Replacement Armor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice information thanks for sharing very useful. For more visit Biker jackets India.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the leatherz
    I will check out again for more top-quality web content and additionally, recommend this website to all. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete